Liaison Officer Policy Research at South African Sugar Association
Permanent Intermediate position
Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal
Market Related salary
Job 2141182 | Ref 1326
Posted 20 Nov 2017 by South African Sugar Association
About the Position
SASA's External Affairs Division plays a key role in ensuring that SASA achieves its' mission by managing the varied stakeholder relationships critical to the industry's ongoing viability and growth and delivering the industry's investment in socio-economic transformation. The nature of the work of External Affairs is such that they provide strategic support of cross cutting industry matters which require cross divisional engagement.
The External Affairs division has an employment opportunity for a Liaison Officer. This role, which reports to the External Affairs Director, will serve as primarily as the facilitator of those collaborative, cross cutting processes across the External Affairs management team and/or other divisions, senior managers and members of the SASA Executive (including the Executive Director).
For the right person, this role offers extensive task variety and the potential to contribute in a tangible and meaningful way to the objectives of External Affairs. You will be comfortable serving on behalf of a range of internal and external stakeholders with duties that can range from the simple to complex depending on the shifting needs of External Affairs.
Your success will be characterised by flexibility, inquisitiveness, attention to detail, above average research ability and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
For an idea of "A day in the life of a Liaison Officer", please see the list below (this list is not intended to be exhaustive):
- Coordination of activities within the External Affairs management team to facilitate the collaboration of processes.
- Organise and gather documents and/or information from various managers, departments, meetings and/or Executive team members and report that information, along with recommendations.
- Develop and/or research ideas / information on behalf of the External Affairs management team and/or Executive Director and provide calm, researched and well-thought-out advice.
- Acts as a sounding board on important changes being contemplated/implemented and/or key decisions.
- Ensure clear action items and follow-up after the meetings.
- Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of the organisation, as well as an understanding of how each function interlinks and/or impacts on the other.
- Monitor, coordinate, and communicate strategic objectives of External Affairs.
- Accompany managers within External Affairs and/or the Executive Director, as and when required, to meetings in order to reduce to writing expressed positions and/or mandates.
- A relevant post graduate degree whose attainment has required you to demonstrate excellence in research and writing. Subjects can include Political Science, History, Economics and English.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- High-energy strategic thinker; strong analytical and business judgment skills. You have an innate ability to articulate the big picture without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results through complex cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated leadership through influence and collaboration rather than direct control.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to comfortably dive into most/any area of the organisation.
Only applications submitted via the online portal will be considered so log on to [URL Removed] and click on "Careers @ SASA" to navigate to the application page.
Important to note
Short-listed candidates will be required to participate in pre-selection competency and psychometric assessments and must have a clear credit and criminal record.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to solicit useful information
- articulate, in writing, the big picture without sacrificing attention to detail
- deliver results through complex cross-functional teams
- provide calm, researched and well-thought-out advice.
- developing and/or researching ideas / information
- coordination of activities to facilitate the collaboration of processes
- internal co-ordination and liaison
- organising and gathering documents and/or information from various sources / meetings
- ensuring clear action items and follow-up after the meetings
About The Employer
The South African Sugar Association (SASA) provides a diverse range of highly specialised services to the South African sugar industry and our activities are funded in the main by the sugarcane growers and sugar milling companies. Our mission is to provide specialist services that enhance the profitability, global competitiveness and sustainability of the South African sugar industry.
Aspects of SASA's Recruitment Policy applicable to this Vacancy
SASA recognises the need for employers in South Africa to contribute to transformation through active support for the provisions of the Employment Equity Act and Black Economic Empowerment legislation, and recognises the high level of unemployment in our country. Accordingly, our first priority is the provision of employment opportunities to South African nationals. Applications for employment by foreign nationals are considered only in the event that a comprehensive recruitment process has failed to result in the appointment of a suitable South African candidate.
In terms of our employment equity plan the following designated groups are currently underrepresented at certain levels of our organisation, as assessed against the official economically active population of South Africa, and will be given preference when shortlisting for this position: African Females, Coloured Females, African Males, Coloured Males and African and Coloured male and female applicants with disabilities.
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time