Technical Training Officer Fitter Millwright Elec at South African Sugar Association
Permanent Senior position
Mount Edgecombe, KwaZulu-Natal
Market Related salary
Job 2166237 | Ref 1343
Posted 15 Nov 2017 by South African Sugar Association
About the Position
The Shukela Training Centre (STC) is a highly-regarded training institution started over 40 years ago that delivers high quality engineering & agricultural training to learners in the sugar and other industries.
Skilled artisans are critical to addressing todays' economic challenges and we would like to give you an opportunity to contribute to the training and development of up and coming artisans.
We have an employment opportunity for an experienced Technical Training Officer - Fitter/Millwright (Electromechanician), reporting to the Technical Training Manager (Mechanical).
The successful incumbent will be responsible for delivering theoretical and practical training to aspiring artisans. Tasks will include (but not limited to):
- Ensuring that instruction is given by means of appropriate training methods which ensures that students receive full coverage of the relevant syllabus.
- Supervising, mentoring, coaching and instructing Learners.
- Conducting assessments, trade tests, moderations and learner performance evaluations.
- Maintaining learner records including writing of reports, generating certificates and assisting in the compiling of POEs.
- Designing, developing and preparing quality training materials as well as ongoing refinement to training modules and programmes to enhance learning understanding.
- Assisting in implementing customised training courses to meet customer specific needs.
- Maintaining an "expert" knowledge level of the relevant trade through the undertaking of projects and continuous professional development.
- Ensuring that training equipment is kept in good working order and appearance and in a ready for use for each class.
- Building in students a "Safety begins with me" work ethic;
- Carrying out special assignments and projects each year as delegated by management
- Complying and ensuring compliance to the requirements of the OHS Act and STC Safety Standards
The successful candidate must be passionate about training and meet the following requirements:
- a minimum of a N3 Certificate, or a relevant NQF 4 qualification and have successfully completed a National Trade test in either Fitting/Millwright (Electromechanician);
- 2 yrs work experience post apprenticeship;
- accreditation under NAMB as an Assessor and/or Facilitator;
- strong hands-on technical experience coupled with previous experience as a Facilitator/Assessor/Trainer;
- effective communication skills in English are essential however the ability to communicate in Zulu would be advantageous;
- computer literacy in MS Office;
- a Wireman's Licence is advantageous.
Only applications submitted via the online portal will be considered. Log onto [URL Removed] click on "Careers @ SASA" and follow the relevant links to lodge an application.
Important to note
Short-listed candidates will be required to participate in pre-selection competency and psychometric assessments and must have a clear credit and criminal record.
Aspects of SASA's Recruitment Policy applicable to this Vacancy
SASA recognises the need for employers in South Africa to contribute to transformation through active support for the provisions of the Employment Equity Act and Black Economic Empowerment legislation, and recognises the high level of unemployment in our country. Accordingly, our first priority is the provision of employment opportunities to South African nationals. Applications for employment by foreign nationals are considered only in the event that a comprehensive recruitment process has failed to result in the appointment of a suitable South African candidate.
In terms of our employment equity plan the following designated groups are currently underrepresented at certain levels of our organisation, as assessed against the official economically active population of South Africa, and will be given preference when shortlisting for this position: African Females, Coloured Females, African Males, Coloured Males and African and Coloured male and female applicants with disabilities.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies:
- ensure instruction is given by means of appropriate training methods thus ensuring students receive full coverage of the relevant syllabus
- supervise and set up work control systems to ensure performance, quality, safety and cost standards are met
- implement customised training courses to meet customer's specific needs
- work to high levels of safety and good mechanical practice
- supervise, mentor and coach adult learners
- evaluating performance and preparing written evaluation reports for each learner
- conducting and assessing trade tests
- making persuasive and compelling technical presentations
- preparing training manuals
- supervising and instructing learners
- requirements of the OHS Act
- safety and first aid codes of good practice
- training principles and training methodologies
About The Employer
The South African Sugar Association (SASA) provides a diverse range of highly specialised services to the South African sugar industry and our activities are funded in the main by the sugarcane growers and sugar milling companies. Our mission is to provide specialist services that enhance the profitability, global competitiveness and sustainability of the South African sugar industry.
This job may be removed before it expires.
Get jobs via email
Receive a daily digest of all new jobs matching this job. Your information is safe with us and you can cancel at any time